ASPS 2008 FALL WRITING COMPETITION Deadline: 2008-09-06 (Postmarked)
Rules and Details
ASPS 2008 FALL WRITING COMPETITION
Paid members: $1 per entry
Non-members: $3 per entry
"Members" must be paid prior to CONTEST DEADLINE OF SEPT 6: see Rules
1. THE ALABAMA STATE POETRY SOCIETY FALL CONTEST (SPONSOR ASPS)
THIS CATEGORY IS OPEN TO PAID MEMBERS ONLY
$100, $50, $25, $10, and 3 HM's in order of merit
any form, any subject, 80 line limit
2. THE BAD BOYS CONTEST (SPONSOR MARGARET J. VANN)
$50, $25, $12.50, $12.50
any form, subject "Bad Boys," line limit 40
3. THE GOOD GIRLS CONTEST (SPONSOR SUSAN LUTHER)
$50, $25, $12.50, $12.50
any form, subject "Good Girls," line limit 40
4. AUTUMN "BOO" AWARD (SPONSOR SHELIA MAU)
$30, $20, $15, and 3 HM's
any form, subject "Autumn or Halloween," line limit 40
5. OIL ON CANVAS AWARD (SPONSOR GAIL & JOE WHITTEN)
$50, $30, $20, and 3 HM's
any form, subject "Poem based on a famous painting," line limit 40
You must name the painting and the artist.
6. THE BOBBY J. MARTIN MEMORIAL AWARD (SPONSOR JAN HARRIS)
$35, $25, $15, and 3 HM's
any form, subject "Families / Relationships," no line limit
7. THE "NO-NAME" CONTEST (SPONSOR JOHN CURBOW)
3 winners in alphabetical order with prizes of $50 each
any form, any subject, line limit 42
8. WHAT CATCHES THE LIGHT AWARD (SPONSOR EVELYN HURLEY)
$50, $25, $25, and up to 3 HM's at the judge's discretion
any form, subject "Whatever Catches the Light," line limit 42
9. THE SAMUEL DOBBS MAUBY AWARD (SPONSOR RAMEY CHANNELL)
3 winners in alphabetical order with prizes of $10 each, and 2 HM's
any form, subject "The Autumn Moon," no line limit,
10. THE CORPORATE WORSHIP CONTEST (SPONSOR LORA PERRY)
$30, $20, $15
form "Traditional Hymn Text," subject "Thanksgiving,"
stanzas must be limited to from two to four, with an optional refrain.
POSTMARK DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 6, 2008
FEES FOR UNLIMITED ENTRIES:
Members: $1 per poem
Non-members: $3 per poem
(Contest #1 is open to paid members only.)
Members must be paid (for 2008) by September 1 (postmark)
MAIL ENTRIES AND ENTRY FEES TO:
ASPS Contest Chair
PO Box 145
Gaylesville Alabama 35973
1. The same poem may not be entered in more than one category. Poems may not have won a monetary award in a previous ASPS contest. All rights to previously published poems must be retained by the poet.
2. There is no limit on entries, although you may receive only one award per contest.
Send an SASE (#10 envelope only) for winners list.
3. Submit 2 copies of each poem on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. Plain type & fonts only. No script. On each copy, put category name and number in top right corner. On one copy only, under the category name and number, put your name and address, "Nonmember" or "Member", and email address. Address labels are acceptable.
4. Poems are judged by qualified judges not affiliated with ASPS. Keep a copy of your poems. All poems will be destroyed after the October meeting.
5. In the event that you are a winner, please put the name and address of one local paper at the bottom of your "original" entry (the one with ID).
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
If you have not paid for 2008, to be eligible for member fees of $1 per entry and to enter Category #1, send $20 before September 1 to:
Dr. Wayne DeLoach
2532 County Road 57
Marbury AL 36051
Make check payable to Alabama State Poetry Society-
Memo line: 2008 Membership Dues
Do not send contest entries or contest fees to Wayne!