ASPS 2009 FALL POETRY COMPETITION Deadline: 2009-09-12 (Postmarked)
Rules and Details
ALABAMA STATE POETRY SOCIETY 2009 FALL POETRY COMPETITION
Paid members: $1 per entry --- Non-members: $3 per entry
"Members" must be paid prior to CONTEST DEADLINE OF SEPTEMBER 12: See Rules
1. THE ALABAMA STATE POETRY SOCIETY FALL CONTEST (sponsor ASPS)
$100, $50, $25, $10, 3 HM's in order of merit
any form; any subject; line limit 60 --- Open to paid members only.
2. THE "WHO DO YOU WISH WERE WITH US?" CONTEST
(Sponsored by Peter and Sarah Meister---title from a short story by Dylan Thomas)
Four awards of $25 each. Any form, 40 line limit.
Your poem should focus on a current or past ASPS member who is no longer able to
come to our gatherings. The poem should help us to cherish this person anew.
If the person is still alive, the "elegy" may be an appropriate form to experiment with,
perhaps even to reinvent. Place the name of your chosen poet below the category title
at the top of the page whether or not his/her name appears in the poem or its title.
3. FIFTY FOR THE FIFTIES (Sponsored by Kathleen Thompson)
On prize of $50 at the judge's discretion. Open to Alabama residents only.
Subject: Must be specifically related to the 1950's culture,
form Traditional or Free Verse, line limit 50
(If the Judge chooses not to award the prize, the contest will be held over for spring.)
4. HEROES AWARD in Memory of John Curbow (Sponsored by Evelyn Hurley)
$50, $30, $20, and up to 3 HM's at judge's discretion
Form ODE, subject "Heroes," line limit 42
5. THE WITCHES'S BREW CONTEST (Sponsored by Shelia Mau)
$40, $25, $15
Subject "Halloween or Fall", any form, line limit 40.
6. SHAKESPEAREAN SONNET CONTEST (Sponsored by Joe and Gail Whitten)
$50, $30, $20, 3 HM's
Any subject; form Shakespearean sonnet
7. OIL ON CANVAS CONTEST (Sponsored by Joe and Gail Whitten)
$50, $30, $20, 3 HM's
Any form, subject " poem based on well-known painting---name the painting in or
under the title," line limit 40.
8. TRANSITIONS CONTEST in Honor of Lauren Marks
(Graduating Montana Academy 12/09. Sponsored by Barry Marks)
$50, $35, $15, & up to 3 HM's at judge's discretion
Any form; subject "any transition---seasonal, life changes, age, death, birth,
mood swings, etc;" line limit 45
9. NAVAJO CODE TALKERS AWARD (Sponsored by Bettye Cannizzo)
$50, $35, $15, and up to 3 HM's
Any form, subject "To honor the Navajo Code Talkers of WWII," line limit 50
On any Internet Search Engine type in "Navajo Code Talkers" or check your library.
10. LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN AWARD in Memory of John Curbow
(Sponsored by Kathleen Thompson, Mary Halliburton, and Donna Jean Tennis)
$50, $30, $20: Subject "Something or someone you've lost, but will always remember,"
any form, line limit 42
12. MEDITATION CONTEST in Memory of The Four Chaplains in WWII
(Sponsored by Bettye Cannizzo) $50, $35, $15, and up to 3 HM's
Any form, subject "The Four Chaplains of WWII," line limit 50
Many articles on these heroes are on the Internet (Search Engine: "The Four
Chaplains") and are also available in your local libraries.
POSTMARK DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 12, 2009
FEES FOR UNLIMITED ENTRIES:
Members: $1 per poem
Non-members: $3 per poem
Contest #1 is open to paid members only
Winner of #3 must be an Alabama resident
MAIL ENTRIES AND ENTRY FEES TO:
PO Box 125
Odenville AL 35120
Direct questions (do not email entries) to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The same poem may not be entered in more than one category. Poems may
not have won a monetary award in a previous ASPS contest. All rights to previously
published poems must be retained by the poet.
2. There is no limit on entries, although you may receive only one award per contest.
Send an SASE (#10 envelope only) for winners list.
3. Submit 2 copies of each poem on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. Plain type & fonts only. No script.
On each copy, put category name and number in top right corner. On one copy only,
under the category name and number, put your name and address, "Nonmember"
or "Member," and email address. Address labels are acceptable.
4. Poems are judged by qualified judges not affiliated with ASPS. Keep a copy of your
poems. All poems will be destroyed after the October meeting.
5. In the event that you may be a winner, please put the name and address of one local
paper at the bottom of your "original" entry (the one with ID).
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
To be eligible for member fees of $1 per entry and to enter Category #1
send $20 by September 5 (postmark) to:
Dr. Wayne DeLoach
2532 County Road 57
Marbury AL 36051
Make check payable to Alabama State Poetry Society
Memo line: Membership Dues
Do not send contest entries or contest fees to Wayne!