1. ALABAMA STATE POETRY SOCIETY SPRING CONTEST (Sponsored by ASPS) Any form, any subject. 67 Entries
1st Place Jeanette Willert Pell City, AL "Resolve"
2nd Place Susan Martinello Gulf Shores, AL "So Close to Broken"
3rd Place Lela Ellen Dingler Boaz, AL "Cotton Pickin'"
4th Place Don K. Mutchler Mobile, AL "Bitter Cup"
1st HM Charles K. Firmage Boise, ID "Nothing to Say"
2nd HM Barbara Blanks Garland, TX "Immemorial"
3rd HM Cona F. Adams De Soto, MO "Death Stick"
2. THE DAVID KATO PRIZE, in honor of murdered Ugandan gay activis David Kato (1964-2011)(Sponsored by Jendi Reiter) Any form, Subject: Human rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people.
1st Place Sylvia Williams Dodgen Orange Beach, AL "Show Time"
2nd Place Debra Self Alexander City, AL "History Repeats"
3rd Place Myra Ward Barra Pell City, AL "The Man Jesse"
1st HM Barbara Blanks Garland, TX "Wedding Bell Triumph"
2nd HM Janet Anderson Huntsville, AL "Suicide's Call to the Homophobic"
3rd HM Esther Whitman Johnson Roanoke, VA "Said the Pastor to His Flock"
4th HM Lynn Veach Sadler Pittsboro, NC "First LIne of Defense: Fact Before Art"
3. THE "A BRIDGE TOO FAR" AWARD (Sponsored by Susan Luther)
Any form, Subject: Brooklyn, San Francisco, London, Three No Trump, the swinging bridge at Fall Creek Falls -- Write a poem about bridges, a bridge, the game of bridge, or bridging -- literal or figurative. A bridge might be the setting or the subject of the piece; or it might be about bridging gaps between people, cultures,etc. (or not). (Think "The Hundred Foot Walk") Build, build, build! 32 Entries
1st Place Catherine Moran Little Rock, AR "The bridge speaks"
2nd Place Dalene Stull Danville, OH "Bridging the Gap Between
Death and Commemoration"
3rd Place Barbara Blanks Garland, TX "Hospice Volunteer"
1st HM Jerri Hardesty Brierfield, AL "Progress"
2nd HM Esther Whitman Johnson Roanoke, VA "Breaking Barriers Off Bali"
3rd HM Charles K. Firmage Boise, ID "Wee, Small Hours"
4. THE "SPRINGING FORWARD" AWARD (Sponsored by Writers Anonymous) Any form, Subject: Celebrating spring as a time of refreshing or renewing, poets are to take a fresh look at an old memory and write about it from their new perspective. Did pain become profit? Did tears become joy? Do things look different with the passing of time?
1st Place Susan Martinello Gulf Shores, AL "Second Chance Shop"
2nd Place Myra Ward Barra Pell City, AL "Birth of Logan Martin Lake"
3rd Place Margaret J. Vann Huntsville, AL "signs"
1st HM Gail Gehlken Irvington, AL "Digging a New Garden"
2nd HM Janet Anderson Huntsville, AL "With Spring Comes Rain"
3rd HM Betty Spence Mobile, AL "April Awareness"
5. THE "SPEAK LIKE RAIN" AWARD in memory of Helen Norris Bell.
(Sponsored by Kathleen Thompson)Any form: traditional or free verse. Any subject. Strive for the lyricism of falling rain and
not the exactness of Dr. Seuss.
1 Winner Vivian Brown Fairhope, AL "Enduring"
6. THE "COLLABORATION OF THE ARTS" AWARD (Sponsored by Jodi Adamson)*MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN
Any form, Subject: Based on a song you know.
Make sure you tell us what song inspired the poem, and winners be prepared to sing the song as well.
1st Place Jessica Jones Mobile, AL "Her Name Goes Here"
2nd Place Jeanette Willert Pell City, AL "Out in the River"
3rd Place Mike Wahl Athens, AL "First There Is A Mountain, Then There Is No Mountain,Then There Is"
7. THE "DRAGONFLY" AWARD (Sponsored by Susan Luther)
Any form, Subject: Utopia. What does the ideal place or dream world look like to you?Iridescent as a dragonfly's wings, multi-faceted like its point of view... create in verse a worldyou would like to live in, or the world you made up for yourself as a child. Blue trees? Greensky? Or an inter-species Peaceable Kingdom?
1st Place Vivian Brown Fairhope, AL "Ergmot and Merigelda"
2nd Place Bettye K. Cannizzo Hartselle, AL "If"
3rd Place Margaret J. Vann Huntsville, AL "Can This Be Heaven?"
1st HM Barbara Blanks Garland, TX haiku
2nd HM Vincent J. Tomeo Flushing, NY "Angels"
3rd HM Janet Anderson Huntsville, AL "Joy For the Natural World"
8. THE "OLD HUNDREDTH" MEMORIAL PRIZE (Sponsored by Susan Luther)
Any form, Subject: "Make a joyful noise." -- use the verbs "make," "serve," "come," "know," "enter," "give thanks," and "bless," -- NOT in that order.
1st Place Mike Wahl Athens, AL "Make a Joyful Noise"
2nd Place Barbara Brown Montgomery, AL "The Sun and Moon: What
3rd Place Faye Gaston Union Springs, AL "Make Thanks With A Joyful Noise"
1st HM Jeanette Willert Pell City, AL "Bless the Stars"
2nd HM Janet Anderson Huntsville, AL "Fruit of the Spirit"
9. THE "LOVE IS NOT A FOUR LETTER WORD" AWARD (Sponsored by Barry Marks)Any form, Subject: Romantic love in a modern setting.
(Two Equal Winners:)
Winner Urainah Glidewell Pell City, AL "Love is the Easy Part"
Winner Jerri Hardesty Brierfield, AL "Home"
1st HM Barbara Blanks Garland, TX "Endless Summer"
2nd HM Janet Anderson Huntsville, AL "Luvgeeks"
10. THE "FIRST BREATH" AWARD (Sponsored by Emily Grimes-Henderson)
Any form, Subject: A poem about a first breath, i.e. the first breath of Spring or a baby's first breath.
1st Place Janet Anderson Huntsville, AL "How To Climb Life"
2nd Place Lee Pelham Cotton Locust Hill, VA "The Space Before My Song"
3rd Place Catherine Moran Little Rock, AR "All the breaths"
1st HM Beverly Stanislawski Crown Point, IN "Endings and Beginnings"
2nd HM Faye Gaston Union Springs, AL "The First Breath of Spring"
3rd HM Urainah Glidewell Pell City, AL "The Spring Swing"